While I have always taken to pen and paper (way before computers), my professional writing career began with the Antelope Valley Press in Palmdale, Ca. as a feature writer, columnist, and photographer.
Many of my newspaper stories led to a freelance career and publication in The Los Angeles Times, The Sacramento Bee, Women’s World, Cat Magazine, Ford Times, The Fresno Bee, The Albuquerque Journal and more.
I filled in my freelance income as a public relations and marketing director–until I bought a bookstore in Santa Fe, NM.
In 2003 my first fiction work, The Gathering Basket, was published.
As the world appears to spin out of control, it compelled me to write a book of contemplations with nature, “Connection — A Book of 48 Natural Contemplations”
I also completed an autobiography at the suggestion of my beloved mentor, the late Edward Parone, and many of my readers, “A California Girl: Seeking the Sun, Sea and Spirit.”
Another project is “Isu of Piedras Blancas,” a creative nonfiction picture book for children.
Presently, I write a column for my local paper, The Cambrian, about volunteerism. On occasion my commentaries and feature stories find publication in local newspapers and magazines, travel blogs, and national magazines. But, honestly, today’s freelance writing is a tough market that is for the young!
The Daily Prism is a daily post about what’s good around us.
I trained and volunteered as a docent for Friends of the Elephant Seal. FES informally educates the thousands of visitors who come to view the northern elephant seal at Piedras Blancas, Ca. I also volunteered as a co-coordinator for a fundraising event, Soupabration! (see KSBY ) that benefits Pacific Wildlife Care in Morro Bay, Ca. I’ve served on many boards of directors to include a nonprofit international relief group that focuses on Nepal, The Rural Health and Education Project, and the California Gray Whale Coalition.
Over the years a few accolades and awards have come my way. They include:
- 1980 Secretary of the Year;
- Awards that range from 1st to 3rd place recognitions by Western Fairs Association for AV Fair marketing and promotions and newsletters;
- Recognition for publicity service to Antelope Valley Horseman’s Association;
- Community Service Appreciation by Kiwanis of Antelope Valley;
- Former President of Alpha Charter Junior Guild to Antelope Valley Medical Center;
- Scholarship to American Booksellers Association seminars and workshops by the Mountains and Plains Booksellers Association;
- Docent of the Year by Friends of the Elephant Seal;
- California Coastal Commission Photography Honorable Mention;
- First through Third Place photography awards at California Mid-State Fair.
Hobbies and hidden talents include cooking, playing piano (with Cole Porter hits my passion), reading, wine tasting, gardening and hiking.
I’m married, have two magnificent daughters, two spectacular grandchildren, and a rescue Siamese cat.
Be sure to visit my daughter Chef Dakota Weiss’s website: Chef Dakota.
Lower B&W Photo: The Santa Fe Mother Blogger before blogs. It’s 1982 and she’s on a news assignment when the late Jack Overlade, also on assignment, caught her in action.